Monday, March 21, 2011

Jaxson Update 3/21/11

This weekend was rough.  We had our first step back and of course I took it pretty hard. 

Saturday we went to see Jaxson at 11am and hold him, during the rest of the day he had a few "episodes" of slowing his heart rate and his breathing down.  He has had these before but he had done it a lot more times that day.  Our nurse called the doctor and they agreed to run some tests.  They said that when a preemie has these episodes the first thing they think about is infection.  They took an ex-ray of his belly and some blood work.  The ex-ray was fine but the blood work did show a virus.  They took blood from his PICC line (A Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter, or "PICC line," is a thin, soft plastic tube — like an intravenous (IV) line — that allows you to receive medicines and fluids. A PICC line stays in place for as long as needed.) and from another site and only found the infection in his PICC line, so they went ahead and took it out and started him on antibiotics. 

Saturday night I didn't get to hold him since he wasn't very stable and that was the hardest part for me.  I cherish my times to hold him and comfort him and I couldn't do it.  I'm glad Chris was there to keep reassuring me. 

Sunday morning they said he was doing ok, he had a couple of episodes but not many.  They also wanted to do a spinal tap to make sure the virus wasn't going to his brain.  Still didn't get to hold him but we stayed with him for a while. 

That afternoon my brother, Zack, and his wife Margaret came to meet Jaxson.  They were going to take Chris home but since we were still waiting to see what was going on with Jaxson, Chris decided to stay another day.  (I also asked him too because it's all a little easier when he is here).  We had lunch with Zack and Margaret and then went back to the hospital to see Jaxson.  Margaret got to see him open his eyes a little and Zack held his knee.  It was fun to have my brother there for a little bit and introduce him to my son! 

At the 8pm touch time we went back and Jaxson hadn't had any episodes and they said he was stable enough for me to hold him for a little bit.  It felt so good and it was only for about 20 minutes. 

This morning we went back at 11 and got a report from the doctor.  He said that he was responding well to the antibiotics, had the spinal tap and all looked good from that.  He hadn't been having any episodes, but would continue on antibiotics for 14 days.  What a good report.  I know we will have more little set backs but I don't think knowing that makes it any easier.  It's so hard to see your baby sick and especially when you can't hold them!!!!

My sister was so nice and offered to take Chris half way home and his dad came the other half (so I could keep the car this week, I haven't driven for two weeks until today) so he left at 12:30 today.  This is also the first time I have been alone for the last two weeks.  I'm glad it's a beautiful day and we had a good report from the doctor.  I was able to take a nap and now am getting ready to go back to the hospital.  It's hard to imagine that this will be my life for at least the next 4-6 weeks if not longer.  Still taking it one day at a time. 

Thanks for all the prayers for little Jaxson (I call him "Big Boy" to his face)  Keep them coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment